History of Military Science at Colorado School of Mines
Colorado School of Mines became one of the first four colleges in the United States to establish a reserve officers training corps (ROTC). The first CSM ROTC graduating class commissioned in 1921.
The Military Science Department at Colorado School of Mines is rich in history and military tradition. Dating as early as 1873, where Bishop Randall’s “School of Mines” lists eight faculty members, and Captain George West was the instructor of Military Tactics. In 1911, School President Victor Alderson granted credit toward graduation upon completing a satisfactory course of training in Company A Engineers, Colorado National Guard. In 1917, many Mines men joined local recruits of Company A, 115th Engineers, 40th Division and deployed to France and were decorated for their service. In 1939 the 115th Engineers retired their colors to Colorado School of Mines, and the flag is displayed in the Military Science Department.